Most people have homeowner’s insurance to protect their home and belongings in case of an unforeseen event, such as a fire or burglary. However, some things are not typically covered by standard home insurance policies. Here are some you should definitely know about.
1. Intentional/Malicious Damage
This type of damage is any destruction that is carried out on purpose. It could be something as simple as throwing a rock through a window or spray painting graffiti on a wall. If the damage is done on purpose, your home insurance policy will not cover it.
Always remember that home insurance is designed to protect you from accidental damage, not damage that you do on purpose. If you intentionally damage your property, your home insurance company will not pay for the repairs.
2. Wear and Tear
Another type of damage that is not covered by home insurance is wear and tear. This is the gradual deterioration of your property that happens over time due to use and exposure to the elements.
For example, home insurance will not cover the repair cost if your roof starts to leak after years of exposure to the sun and rain. This type of damage is considered to be normal wear and tear that every homeowner should expect.
Flooding is one of the most common types of damage not covered by home insurance. This is because flooding is considered a high-risk event that can cause much damage in a short amount of time. Homeowners should consider buying flood insurance to be protected from this type of damage.
4. Acts of War
Another type of damage that is typically not covered by home insurance is an act of war. This could include damage from a bomb or other weapons of mass destruction. If an act of war destroys your home, your home insurance policy will not cover the cost of repairs.
As you can see, several types of damage are not typically covered by home insurance. It’s essential to be aware of these exclusions to ensure you’re adequately protected. If you have any questions about what is or isn’t covered by your home insurance policy, Morgan Insurance Services in Tampa, FL can help. Give us a call today to learn more.
Morgan Insurance Services provides coverage to the Tampa, FL community, as well as the surrounding areas. We strive to help our clients find the policies they need to help minimize risks. We offer flexible policies tailored to your individual needs. We can help you protect your assets.
How Summer Maintenance Impacts Home Insurance
Your Tampa, FL home is a unique asset. Home insurance covers you in multiple ways. The structure of your home is covered if inclement weather moves through the area and causes damage. The interior of your home is also covered, including your walls and flooring. Your personal items are also covered if they are stolen or vandalized. Liability coverage protects you if a guest is injured while visiting your home.
The summer is a great time to perform maintenance on your home. You’ll get to enjoy warm weather. Summer maintenance also has an impact on your home insurance. Inspect your porch to see if there are cracks or other potential hazards. This can prevent you from being involved in a potential liability dispute if someone gets hurt.
Trim the trees and bushes around your home. If you reside in an area that is prone to inclement weather, trimming the trees and bushes could prevent the possibility of them falling into your home and damaging it. It also reduces the likelihood of the trees causing damage to your neighbor’s property, which you would be held responsible for.
If you have a swimming pool, summer is definitely the time to inspect it. Clean and balance the chemicals before using the pool. This can help prevent potential liability issues in the future.
Morgan Insurance Services Will Help You Find The Right Policy
Visit our website to learn more information about home insurance.
A home inventory will enable you to keep track of the valuable goods you own. If a fire or other disaster befalls your home, your inventory will make it easier to make a claim on your home insurance. The following steps from Morgan Insurance Services can help you inventory your belongings to create accurate documentation of your goods.
- Walk through every room of your Tampa, FL home to get an idea of the items you own. With pen and paper in hand, start making a list of your valuables, both in and out of your home. To simplify your inventory, consider listing items according to the room they’re in.
- Take pictures or a video of valuable items and write a description of each to include the make, model, serial number, condition, and cost. If you have receipts for your valuable goods, these should be collected and stored with your inventory.
- Items like original artwork or family heirlooms should be appraised for their current value. Keep this appraisal with your inventory to corroborate the importance of these items.
- When possible, transfer your list to your computer so you’ll have a digital copy along with your paper one. Store your inventories in a separate location (or in the cloud) for greater safety in the event of a disaster in your home.
- Update your home inventory as needed, particularly after making costly purchases. At the same time, delete any items you no longer own to keep your list as current as possible.
- If you work from home, include business equipment in your inventory so you’ll have a record of these items.
A home inventory can help you purchase accurate home insurance coverage as you’ll have a better idea of the value of your goods. To purchase a policy for your Tampa, FL home, contact us at Morgan Insurance Services.
Home insurance can be overwhelming if you’ve never had to get it before. Rather than make bad choices about coverage, Morgan Insurance Services in Tampa, FL can help you. Knowing about what’s included in a policy and how it can be customized to meet your needs will ensure that you get the coverage that you can count on.
What Home Insurance Includes
While not all home insurance policies are alike, there are a few things that are included in all of them. This ensures that you have the basic coverage that you need for:
- Your dwelling
- Personal property inside of your dwelling
- Other structures on your property
- Liability for injuries and/or damage
Some policies can vary based on the company that you go through as well as where you live. This is why you have to pay attention to the fine print and know how you can make a few key customizations to the policy.
How to Customize a Policy
Every home insurance policy can be customized in a few ways. You want to make sure that your policy has enough coverage to make repairs to your home. As you make upgrades, you need to inform the insurance company so that coverage limits go up. You don’t want to run into a situation where there is home damage or items lost and the insurance company doesn’t cover the full amount.
You can customize a policy to cover more valuable items in your home, items that are not stored on the property, and more. You can also boost liability levels and ensure that you have coverage for accommodations in the event that you cannot live in your home for a certain amount of time following a disaster.
Get your no-obligation home insurance quote by calling us at Morgan Insurance Services in Tampa, FL today. One of our insurance agents can work with you to answer questions and help you build the right policy.
We are coming out of Hurricane season in Tampa, FL. During this time, you should re-evaluate your Hurricane preparedness plan and make sure that your property is properly insured against damage from a Hurricane. Florida’s law requires property insurance to cover damage caused by Hurricane force winds, but it doesn’t necessarily have to include flood damage. If you are not sure what type of policy you have, contact an agent at Morgan Insurance Services today, and we can help assist you in making sure you have the full coverage of your property needs.
Even if you have insurance to cover loss or damage, you should still take some steps and precautions to protect your home from a hurricane.
- Make a list and take pictures of all belongings in your home and keep it in a safe, waterproof place. This will help you file a claim if necessary.
- Use sandbags to protect your home from flooding.
- Bring in loose and lightweight items from outside that could be thrown around in high winds. Such items could be patio furniture and garbage cans.
- If an object can’t be brought inside for safety reasons, make sure you anchor it down. This could be a propane tank or a small garden shed.
- Trim branches or remove trees that are close to your house to avoid them from falling onto it.
- Cover your windows by either boarding them up with plywood that fits to the size of your window or by installing storm shutters.
Having insurance and taking these necessary precautions will help you during a storm. For more information, contact a Tampa, FL agent at Morgan Insurance Services today, so we can make sure you have peace of mind and are fully covered for whatever happens.