A home inventory will enable you to keep track of the valuable goods you own. If a fire or other disaster befalls your home, your inventory will make it easier to make a claim on your home insurance. The following steps from Morgan Insurance Services can help you inventory your belongings to create accurate documentation of your goods.
- Walk through every room of your Tampa, FL home to get an idea of the items you own. With pen and paper in hand, start making a list of your valuables, both in and out of your home. To simplify your inventory, consider listing items according to the room they’re in.
- Take pictures or a video of valuable items and write a description of each to include the make, model, serial number, condition, and cost. If you have receipts for your valuable goods, these should be collected and stored with your inventory.
- Items like original artwork or family heirlooms should be appraised for their current value. Keep this appraisal with your inventory to corroborate the importance of these items.
- When possible, transfer your list to your computer so you’ll have a digital copy along with your paper one. Store your inventories in a separate location (or in the cloud) for greater safety in the event of a disaster in your home.
- Update your home inventory as needed, particularly after making costly purchases. At the same time, delete any items you no longer own to keep your list as current as possible.
- If you work from home, include business equipment in your inventory so you’ll have a record of these items.
A home inventory can help you purchase accurate home insurance coverage as you’ll have a better idea of the value of your goods. To purchase a policy for your Tampa, FL home, contact us at Morgan Insurance Services.